Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) is a tool used by physicians to determine if an injured employee can safely return to the job. Other purposes of an FCE include aiding the doctor in determining an injured worker’s validity of effort, abilities for disability rating, or to see if restrictions/limitations should be set in the future.
The Ozzie Smith Centers of Springfield is proud to be a provider of the XRTS Cross Reference Testing System. This unique equipment has set the highest standard for FCEs in our area.
This is a highly specialized service in which extensive physical and evaluative testing is done that will answer the following questions:
- Can this person return to work safely?
- How severe is the client’s pain?
- What type of job can a person physically handle?
- What are a candidates safe lifting tolerances?
- What work accommodations could be made to allow this person back to work?
- What is the next appropriate step in regards to rehabilitation?
- What are candidate’s cardiovascular and physical endurance limitations for working?
- What are positional tolerances for standing, sitting, walking?
- Is this patient giving a valid effort? Are they really doing their best?
Functional Capacity Evaluations typically last 2-4 hours as the doctorate-level physical therapist goes through a full exam and muscle testing, documents range of motion and performs special tests pertaining to each patient’s injury and pain complaints.
If a patient has demonstrated a valid effort, job-specific functional tasks will be performed. For this reason, it is ideal for the Ozzie Smith Centers of Springfield to have a complete job description prior to completing a Functional Capacity Evaluation.
To schedule a meeting or demonstration to discuss how FCEs can benefit your company, contact Andrea Graddy at 417-889-4800.
The Ozzie Smith Centers of Springfield offer Functional Capacity Evaluations performed by trained doctorate-level physical therapists at all 4 clinics, South Springfield, North Springfield, Monett and Ozark. Advantage Therapy will performed FCEs as ordered by physicians for workers compensation cases, disability rating cases, and personal injury cases involving legal representation.